Monday, July 16, 2012

What, Me Scared?

"Do you still get scared?"

I first encountered Toastmasters when a new lunch club, Harris SpeakEZ Toastmasters, was forming where I worked at Harris Corporation in 1997. This was by no means my first time speaking in public. I was a member of the Student Senate at the University of Florida in 1995-1996. I was part of a very small minority; the majority was part of a political machine that dated back decades and tied in to the political good-old-boy network in the state of Florida.

Since our minority was so small, we had to be loud in order to accomplish anything. We were far more effective than we really should have been given our size. As a result, none of us were particularly popular. When I got up to speak, I faced a very hostile audience. I would be heckled, jeered, and insulted. I continued to speak my opinion, unpopular as it may have been, since that was what I believed I should do as a senator.

When I attended the first Toastmasters club meeting and discovered that everyone wanted to hear me speak, I was quite eager to take the stage. No, I never had stage fright. I do sometimes still get the adrenaline rush when I speak, especially during contests, but it is a fun rush and I enjoy it.

The few times I have had difficulty speaking were when the content was personal and painful. Why would someone ever want to talk about such things in public? Well, for me, I have found those speeches to be cathartic and healing. My fellow Toastmasters are there to help me become better, and they do that by listening and providing feedback compassionately.

So my answer is, no, I do not get scared when I speak. I love an audience, especially a friendly one! Any size audience is fine. I do still get a rush if I am really excited about my topic.  When it comes your turn to speak, talk about something you care about strongly!

No comments:

Post a Comment