Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tracking Progress

I'm currently a VP Education which is an office I've held many times before. I have particular opinions on the role, such as asking for volunteers is great but assigning people to roles is better.

One of my weaknesses as VP Education is tracking members' progress. A big reason for that is simply a self-centered view. Since I am in multiple clubs, no one VP Education can keep track of me so I have to keep track of myself. It's not that hard, so all Toastmasters can do it, right?

Anyhow, there was a specific request recently that I find a way to track members' progress and make it visible for all the members. I logged in to our club's Google Docs account and created a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet doesn't automate or calculate anything, but I think it does make it incredibly easy to enter data and track progress. I even made the document editable for all the members so anyone can update it.

Since I thought it was useful, I saved a copy for myself and recorded all of my awards in it including my 7 CTM/CCs, my 5 ATM/ACs, my 4 OLCs, and my progress towards ALS. It's pretty easy to follow so I am sharing it here for others to use. Save a copy to your own Google Docs or download it for your preferred spreadsheet program.

There are six sheets in the document which you can see by the tabs at the bottom: CC, CL, AC, ALB, ALS, and DTM. All the requirements are listed in the headers for each sheet's table. The entries in each table correspond to one line per achievement.

If your club doesn't have a Google Docs account yet, get one! Get a Google Voice number too! More on those later.

No comments:

Post a Comment